Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Last Cataract

Yesterday (Monday) went well at Amsurg, they even got my name right 90 % of the time.  Surgery went off and we were out the door heading for home in less than two hours.  Not bad for a 8:30 AM start. 
I was complaining to the surgeon on Friday when I was in for a checkup on the other eye, that 8:30 am was to early.  He shared his schedule with me.  He starts every surgery day with the right eye at 7 am.  If surgery is at 7 am, the patient has to be there by 6 am.  When he finished with all the right eyes he switches to the left eye.  So 8:30 am didn't sound quite so bad. 
Now that both eyes are far sighted I'm having to learn new tricks.  This old dog is having a wee bit of problem with not being able to see close things like books and newspapers.  I spend most mornings reading the "Trib" and eating a bowl of cereal and most lunches reading a book and eating lunch. 
This morning my dear husband read the "Trib" to be.  Not all of it but some of the articles I was most interested in.  He finally remembered he had a magnifying glass and brought that so I could read the rest myself.  Still a real inconvenience but I could read.
At my checkup this afternoon the doctor suggested a pair of cheap reading glasses till I qualify for prescription ones.  They have an optical shop in their office so I picked up a pair of readers for $5.  It's taking some getting used to switching them on and off.  I'll have to do that for another 4 weeks before I can even order prescription lenses and then wait till they're done.  You don't have to be an Einstein to figure that time schedule conflicts with our return to Tucson.  We'll have to weigh our possibilities and decide on what fits us.  We have four weeks to do that so we will do it carefully.

In the mean time our friend, Larry, had his 74th birthday on Monday AND a colonoscopy.  Wasn't that a fantastic birthday present his dear wife, Gerry, made for him?    They tell me everything went just fine and he's done for another 5 years.  We'll see them in Tucson sometime in November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment