Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

What a beautiful day it was yesterday, Father's Day.  Don't get me wrong, it was hot and humid but it didn't rain.  Ron cleaned and I cooked Saturday and Sunday.  I keep telling him not to clean until people leave.  Saturday I made dill new potato salad and a Texas Sheet Cake.  It's like a moist chocolate brownie with chocolate icing.  Why do people say "chocolate brownie"?  Is there any other kind of brownie besides chocolate? Sunday it was baked beans, creamy and vinegar cold slaw, pasta salad, deviled eggs and got the four (4) slabs of ribs ready for the grill.
Ron wanted to try out the rub recipe I copied off of another blog.  I was a little apprehensive about trying out new things on other people, even if it's family, so we agreed on half rub and half sauce.  As he started putting them on the Weber charcoal grill he realized he didn't have room for all of the ribs.  I suggested turning on the Weber gas grill setting next to the Weber charcoal  grill.  What a novel idea.  Given the fact that he had never made ribs on a gas grill, he burnt the ribs with the rub.  Well not the ribs but the sugar in the rub burnt.  Note to self "tell him to turn down the heat next time".
Thanks to our semi chef grandson, Eric, the ribs turned out pretty good except they were cooked to long and a little dry.  (I'm being nice in case Ron reads this).
Anyway, Elizabeth, Robert, Eric, Alan, Ron and I enjoyed a meal of good food and company.  Jessy and Matt came just as we were sitting down to eat but they had already eaten.  We talked and laughed and had a great time.  At least I did.  I even went out to the vehicles and found my camera to take pictures.  When they all left, it was still sitting where I had laid it down.  Memories will have to sustain us.
I did put the Texas sheet cake and home made strawberry ice cream on the table and it was partaken of.  We managed to send a good deal of the left overs home with Elizabeth and Robert.  Jess helped out with the Texas sheet cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment