Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall Foliage and other beauties of nature. (No doctors or hospitals included)

We've been trying to go to Missouri since Memorial Day but every time we start to plan it rains.  Now I know we won't melt; even though I may have been called "The Wicked Witch of the North"; it's not a pleasant drive in the rain and that rain comes directly from northeast Missouri.  Our destination.
So when last week the weather people declared this week to be sunny and dry, time to try it again.  What a beautiful drive, sun roof open and sun glasses on.  The driver got so involved in the accidents on the other side of I-55 that he missed our turn off in Dwight.  He always takes me by the women's detention center and threatens to drop me off for the week.  Ha Ha.  By the time he realized it we were between Pontiac and Bloomington so the old route was in order.  We opted to stop at the Funk's Grove Rest Stop instead of the Dixie Truck stop for cleanliness reasons but still got off at 136 and headed west.
We can't remember the last time we went this way but it's been awhile cause most of the old buildings are falling or have already fallen down.  A little depressing but that's the way life is.  If you don't use it, you loose it.  The scenery was beautiful in all the shades of Fall.  Should have saved our money from the cruise and came down here.
We made good time and decided to stop in Macomb for lunch.  I let Ron pick the restaurant cause I figured we'd have dinner at The Catfish Place.  He picked McDonald's 
We arrived in Memphis about 3 pm and checked into our favorite motel and then off to Rutledge.  We turned on the GPS just to see what it would do.  We traveled thru a lot of open air but it did recognize a few roads.
Our first stop was at Zimmerman's the local, restaurant, grocery store and dry goods store.  I opted for the dry goods section and browsed the rows of beautiful fabric and quilts but decided to avail myself of the knowledge of the sales lady.  After I explained to her what I was working on she suggested a color and after looking at it decided it was a great idea.  Next I asked her how much do I need.  She said 3/4 yard and I said give me a full yard.  300 miles is a long way to come to get more.
Then we went to the grocery store looking for fresh sorghum but Sandhill hadn't had their squeezing yet.  They did have sassafras but I still have plenty of that.  We ran into my friend Reva (Surprise) and headed down to the cemetery to check out my folks graves.
They haven't had rain and everything is so dry but someone trimmed around the headstones and plants so Ron didn't have to do that.
Next stop, Knox City for dinner.  We met up with Reva's significant other, Martin, and her oldest daughter, Penny, came by so we chatted while we enjoyed a good meal.  Ron especially enjoyed his pork cutlet sandwich.     The Catfish Place is closed on Tuesdays.
Back to the motel and a terrible night of sleep and off down the road to enjoy another beautiful day of gorgeous scenery coming back home the way we originally intended.
We can truthfully say neither one of us is allergic to corn or soy beans.  The farmers were taking advantage of the perfect weather to harvest their crops which were plentiful on both sides of the road as far as you could see.
I used to feel the need for a Missouri fix but not so much anymore.  Not really any family and only my friend, Reva and her family.  But it's always a fun trip.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a beautiful trip. I miss being a kid & taking summer trips down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a great time The leaves are about a week away from peak here on the mountain and we finally have beautiful weather with clear blue skies. Great!

    OK, I get the hint. No more hospital and doctor visits in my blog. Actually, the surgery went well and now to heal and get out of here in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete