Friday, March 22, 2013

Chocolate Sheet Cake

We still haven't gotten important things duplicated so we're still in a position of what we want is in Illinois when we're in Arizona and visa versa.   At least that's my problem when it comes to recipes.
We invited Ron's brother and sister in law over for dinner last night.  We've eaten so many meals in their home it was past time to reciprocate.
I made the decision of baking a ham since it was one of the big items we need to get out of the deep freeze before we leave.  Mashed potatoes is almost everyone's favorite and green beans was one of the veggies Wayne said he liked.  I'd seen fresh green beans in the store so I figured I'd get out my new pressure cooker and make some old fashion green beans with bacon.  Since I'm one of the few who isn't a big potato eater I also added my "famous" pasta salad to the menu.
What was left was dessert.  Well, Ron suggested Texas Sheet Cake.  Since I knew I had all the ingredients I seconded that suggestion.
Problem.....I didn't have my recipe for Texas Sheet Cake in Arizona.  I tried the internet but all the recipes I could find had sour cream in them and I knew mine didn't.  I was about to give up when I decided to check out the two new cookbooks I recently acquired with Ree Drummond recipes   Sure enough she had one she called Chocolate Sheet Cake with appeared to be all the same ingredients I remember but as slight change in preparation so I decided to give it a try.
The results was a very pleasant surprise.  Her way was easier and faster.  I may become one of her fans if the rest of her cook books are equal to that recipe.
Dinner went well.  Somehow the ham was dry.  I covered it with aluminum foil and cooked it just like it said on the covering.  We all ate well and then retired to the living room for more talk.  The evening flew by.  Just as they were about to leave Ron remembered we had taped a TV show we thought they might enjoy.  "American Bible Challenge".  They stayed thru the commercial edited version and seemed to enjoy it too.  We had watched it last year and had hoped the return would be as good and it didn't disappoint us.
BTW, couldn't find a fresh green bean in Pima County so I settled for canned green beans but I still doctored them up.
Had a great evening and we will definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment