Thursday, July 4, 2013

Born on the Fourth of July?

Not really but it sure seemed like it when I was a youngster.  Independence Day was a day of celebration.  Probably fried chicken since my mother and I both liked it a lot.  The one thing I remember vividly was a six pack of flavoured pop.  Bottles of course, returnable ones or as the current buzz word, recycled.  The flavors would consist of grape, orange, strawberry, cream soda and root beer.  The rememberable part was I could drink as much of the pop as I liked.  But since I didn't want to drink it all up, the moist I ever drank was one bottle.
The Fourth was a day to celebrate so off  mom and  grandpa and I went to Hurdland for fireworks, local entertainment, seeing friends and relatives and sitting on a blanket spread out under a tree.  We were not  only  celebrating the birth of our great nation but two birthdays.  My mother's dad and mine.  Grandpa was the 5th  and mine is a couple days later.
Today will be a semi quiet day with Ron and I and the neighborhood fireworks.
Thanks to the men and women who served so we can be free.

.      .                        SEMPER  FI

No comments:

Post a Comment