Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Day After the 4th of July

Talk about a heat wave....That's what everyone is doing these days.  Talking about the heat wave. Definitely a different 4th.  Oh, we had hot dogs and brats on the grill but we ate them in the comfort of our air conditioned home.  Actually my idea of perfect 4th of July food is fried chicken. That's what I remember from the celebrations when I was a wee baby.  Hurdland, MO, local entertainment and a blanket on the lawn.  Lots of friends and relatives and all the pop you wanted...grape, orange, strawberry and creme soda.  A whole six pack.  No kayo though.
 It was an even greater holiday the first seven years of my life.  It was the day we celebrated my mother's father's birthday.  Grandpa's birthday was the 5th but we celebrated it on the 4th along with my birthday, the 7th.  Don't remember any cakes or such, just plenty of fried chicken and what ever else Mom made but we were always told that it was to celebrate our birthdays.
Fireworks weren't a big deal in our lives, they were legal in Missouri so I got to throw a few firecrackers off the front porch and run through the yard after dark with sparklers.  In retrospect, I probably learned to write cursive using sparklers.  LOL
I started this blog with another subject in mind but this is what came out of my brain.  Memories are good.  Hope you had a good 4th and hold a lot of good memories.

1 comment:

  1. I don't need to tell you, but I had the most memorable 4th of July in my life. I will never forget this one.

    ReplyDelete