Thursday, May 24, 2012

Betsy Update and Travel's End

This is the time of year we make a trip to NE Missouri to put flowers on some of my relatives graves.  My father, mother, mother's mother and dad and two of her brothers plus my sister are all buried in a plot across the street from where I grew up.  In fact, I learned to ride my bicycle there because the road in front of the house was a major traffic.  I know it's supposed to be the day to thank the veterans but I was raised by people who called it "Decoration Day" so we honor the dead.  One of my uncles was in the Army during WWII and CCC.  Someone puts a flag on his grave every year.  We see a lot of evidence from the CCC out west.  There work is still standing in National Parks and such.
It was a quick trip, as usual.  Drive down Wednesday and put the flowers on the graves and then spend the night in the same motel in Memphis, MO and drive home on Thursday.  We have other things going on during the actual weekend but always want to pay respects to my family.  Who ever is mowing the cemetery this year has done an excellent job.  They trimmed around all the stones and flowers planted on the graves.  That's a job Ron always has to do  in previous years.  It was a nice surprise.
On the way home I called our daughter, Betsy, to see how she was doing on day 4 after the surgery.  She sounds weak when she answers the phone but says she's doing fine, still in pain but they're giving her soft foods and if she tolerates them, meaning the plumbing works, then she can come home tomorrow.  That's my cue to figure out what all I'm going to take up to them so they don't have to worry about food for a few days.  I'm sure her recovery will take awhile but at least she'll be in her own home in her own bed with her two cats and husband.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Betsey is on the road to recovery. Tell her that Gerry and I wish her a speedy recovery.

    We also were raised with the Decoration Day way of doing things. My father used to help out a friend who owned a Florist Shop and we delivered flowers all over the county on Decoration Day. My job was to run around and find the graves.

    ReplyDelete